SkinPen® by Bellus Medical is the first microneedling device cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, clinically proven to safely and effectively treat facial acne scars, hyperpigmentation, large pores, age spots/sun damage, fine lines, melasma and stretch marks. With as few as three non-invasive and affordable treatments spaced 30 days apart, you can improve your skin tone and texture and appearance of your skin.
SkinPen® microneedling is recommended for the treatment of:
- Aged and sagging skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Vertical lip lines “smoker’s lines”
- Skin tightening and rejuvenation
- Enlarged pores
- Stretch marks
- Scars, including acne scars, surgical scars, trauma injury scars, and burn scars
- Hair loss
All of our SkinPen® microneedling treatments include extra-strength prescription numbing cream to ensure your treatment is as comfortable as possible.
It causes controlled micro-injuries that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process, while minimizing cellular damage. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue, while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
SkinPen® microneedling can be performed with or without PRP (platelet-rich plasma). When we perform the treatment without PRP, we use bottled medical-grade growth factor during the treatment to enhance your collagen and elastin production. Microneedling with PRP (also known as a “Vampire Facial”) involves drawing a few vials of your blood, spinning it down in a centrifuge, and using your own growth factors from the plasma (yellow) portion of your blood during your treatment. The advantage of using PRP is that you will receive faster results and less downtime. Not everyone is a candidate to receive microneedling with PRP, such as if you are on a blood thinner. In that case, it is generally safer and more effective for us to do the microneedling using the bottled medical-grade growth factors.
There are three phases to the wound-repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation
Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to disinfect the wounds, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation
The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling
The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
Best of all, SkinPen works. Ninety percent of subjects in the clinical trial would recommend the procedure to family and friends.
SkinPen® procedures are beneficial to assist in reducing the signs of aging, improving the appearance of stretch marks and/or acne scars, as well as to rejuvenate aging skin. You will typically start to see results after the first or second treatment due to the time it takes for your collagen and elastin to grow and cause a visible change in your skin. Your skin will continue to improve over the next 6-12 months after you complete the full series of recommended treatments. The number of treatments recommended will vary based on what you are treating and your goals, but we commonly recommend a series of 3 or 6 treatments plus an at-home skincare regimen designed to optimize your results.
Pre/Post treatment instructions:
- Please discontinue products containing any exfoliating agents (retinoic acid, tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, etc.) 24 hours before treatment.
- A history of herpes or cold sores will require a course of anti-viral medication pre and post treatment.
Immediately Following Treatment:
- Do not apply anything to the skin for 6-8 hours after treatment. This includes make-up, SPF and products of any kind.
- Avoid clothing, headbands, hats or scarves on the treated area. If clothing is to be worn over treatment area, we recommend cotton clothing that hasn’t been treated with fabric softeners or dryer sheets.
- Redness and/or swelling is common and will resolve over time.
6-8 Hours After Treatment:
- Cleanse skin with Pamela Metamorphosis Sensitive Skin Cleanser followed by the Hyaluronic acid serum recommended by your aesthetician. Do not apply anything else to the skin.
Days 1-3 Post Treatment:
- AM Routine – Cleanse skin with a gentle cleanser, apply a hyaluronic acid serum or Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar and follow with SPF.
- PM Routine – Cleanse skin with gentle cleanser and apply Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar or a hyaluronic acid serum.
- Do not pick, peel, rub, scrub or irritate your skin in any way while it is healing, as this may cause scarring.
- Avoid heat, saunas, hot tubs and sweaty activity; this includes exercise of any kind.
- Do not use a Clarisonic or facial brush of any kind.
- Post procedure make-up like Oxygeneticx may be worn, however, we recommend leaving skin clean for this time period if possible.
- You may resume your regular skin care routine as long as peeling/flaking has subsided. Understand that you may or may not peel and each treatment may be different.