What is PDO thread lifting?
‘An excellent and effective cosmetic technique to lift and tighten sagging skin tissues’ Thread lift therapy originated from oriental acupuncture therapy to control and improve tissue stimulation and muscle contraction. The threads are made of a material called Polydioxanone (PDO). PDO has over a decade long safety track record in surgery and wound closure. PDO has been used for about 10 years in orthopedic and cardiovascular surgery. PDO gained FDA approved in 2004 The PDO threads can very effectively strengthen the contour of the face, reduce roundness, lift sagging skin in the cheeks, jowls, neck and also produce an excellent eyebrow lift.
Which areas can be treated?
- Upper and lower cheeks
- Foreheads (brow lift)
- Jawline, Neck
- Naso-labial folds (nose to mouth lines)
- Marionette lines (corners of the mouth)
How does the treatment work?
The PDO Thread Lift works by redefining the facial contours and inducing collagen production creating a lifting effect which lasts for up to 2 – 3 years. The threads will form an integrated support structure for the tissue of the face due to collagen synthesis. The lifting effect is at its peak 6 months later when collagen has formed around the threads.
What happens during treatment?
Local anesthetic is injected into the treatment area. The PDO thread will then be introduced using a cannula or micro-needle in the required area. Your face will feel numb and your mouth may be asymmetrical for a few hours, similar to that of dental injections. Please refrain from chewing or drinking hot liquids until your face has regained full sensation. You will be able to fully resume your everyday routine and social commitments within a couple of days. PDO Therapy is a tailor made treatment, which can be adjusted to your requirements at any time. When you combine PDO Therapy with Fillers and Botox great results can be achieved.
When will I start seeing results?
There is an immediate improvement seen after Thread Lift treatments with a visible lift in the areas treated. This will improve over a period of 2-6 months as new collagen grows between the threads and gives further lift and tightening to the skin. The PDO threads gradually dissolve over about 6 months, but the resulting lift remains.
How long does treatment take?
Treatment time depends on many factors and size of treatment area, but can take between 30 -60 minutes.
Thread Lift Therapy vs. Surgical Face Lift There is minimal downtime and no general anesthetic risks. The specialized needles allow small areas to be tackled effectively. As there are no incisions, stitches are not required and scarring is unlikely.
Threadlift before and after
What are the possible side effects?
Edema (swelling), Bruising, Infection, Foreign body reaction/granuloma, Needle hematoma, Pain: Protrusion, Migration, Facial nerve trauma. Asymmetry.
You will first undergo a full consultation with our medical practitioner to ensure you are an ideal candidate for treatment. We will supply you with an oral antibiotic Azithromycin 500 mg to take one hour before the procedure and for 2 additional days to reduce the chance of infection if indicated by the treatment area. We may also recommend an oral antihistamine to reduce any swelling prior to treatment.
Aspirin prescribed for a medical indication should not be terminated. However, bruising is more likely. Patients at risk of Herpes labialis are advised to take prophylactic acyclovir tablets and should apply topical cream, especially if threads are to be inserted around the lips.
Arnica tablets taken from about 5 days pre-treatment may be beneficial in reducing swelling after the treatment.
We advise you to stop taking all blood ‘thinning” supplements such as Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin C and Vitamin E and certain herbs.
Thread lift aftercare instructions
- Apply SPF30 + and avoid direct sunlight & tanning machines in order to prevent post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH).
- Gently wash the treated areas on the same day but do not rub or massage the face for 2 weeks.
- Do not open mouth too wide for 3-4 weeks (avoid dental treatment for 2 weeks if possible)
- A stinging or “pulling” pain or discomfort is normal. Take Tylenol 500 mg 1-2 tablets every 6 hours as directed. Avoid taking any anti-inflammatory medication such as Naproxen or Ibuprofen, because inflammation is necessary to initiate the new collagen formation process. Ibuprofen and similar medications will suppress this process.
- Avoid alcohol and anti-coagulant medicines (aspirin, unless prescribed for medical indications) for 7 days.
- Avoid blood ‘thinning’ vitamins C, A & E for 7 days.
- Avoid temperature extremes such as sauna or very cold climate for 10 days.
- Avoid physical exercise for 7 days post procedure.
- Avoid having Radio Frequency (RF) or any heat producing device (laser, IPL, etc.) treatments of the thread treated areas for at least 10 weeks.
- Anti-inflammatory medication may be taken after 7 days.
- Patient must finish course of antibiotics if prescribed as part of the treatment protocol.
- Stinging or “Pulling” pain discomfort is normal, this will subside over a 2-week period.
- Scratchy sensation is normal; this will subside over a 2-week period.
- Stinging, “Pulling”, scratchy sensations will all disappear by week 5.
- Possible complications may include Infection, swelling, bruising, foreign body reaction in epidermis (granuloma) and protrusion. Extremely rare, temporary facial nerve fall out may occur due to local anesthetic, swelling, hematoma or pressure of the cannula or thread on the nerve. Your practitioner MUST be informed immediately if facial nerve fall out is experienced and if your practitioner can’t be reached then go immediately to the Emergency Department.
- Follow up examination 7 days later.
- Combination with other procedures from 7 days onwards: PRP, MicroPen, fillers.
- Follow up photography at 1-month post treatment. Note: treatment of untreated areas may be initiated at anytime.
- End-point follow-up appointment at 3 months post procedure.
How much does a PDO Threadlift cost?
Price Range: $900 – $2950